Monday, August 6, 2012

My Two Little Chefs

This week we started getting the kids into the kitchen and learning how to cook.  They have been good about wanting to help make desserts and goodies but the time has come for them to learn the basics of cooking.
Each child has been given a day (Matt Monday and Emily Friday) to cook a meal of their choice.  I will be there to help them with the skills they don't know or cannot handle but the goal is that in time they will be able to read a recipe/set of instructions and prepare a meal on their own.  
On Sunday night, I had Emily prepare a basic brownie mix.  I had her read the recipe, showed her the items she needed and gave her a few directions but was as "hands off" as I could be. The brownies turned out yummy.
Tonight was Matt's night to cook. He chose to make his favorite - tortellini. He also made Crescent round rolls.  I did have to help him quite a bit just for safety sake but he was proud of his meal as he was plating it.
At dinner time, he told us his next meal is going to be spaghetti without meatballs and salad.  Friday night Emily is making mini meatloaves and her favorite baked beans.  
I am very happy that both kids are excited to get in the kitchen. 


3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Matt And Emily can cook better than Grandpa Wessel already, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Kathy! They will be able to cook a meal for him when they go to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said it too many times...I cannot see an image of Emily and not be transported back 35-40 years (sorry for the 40 part). You two are twins!

    ReplyDelete