Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Pumpkin Patch

Monday I was able to join the kids on a joint field trip to Stony Hill Farms in Chester, NJ.
It was nice being able to go with both kids. I was assigned to Emily's class but the classes are small so I was able to "be with" Matt too!
I actually have to admit that in the "class room" session at the start of the trip I learned things about corn and bees I never knew. I now appreciate the silk hairs that take so long to clean from the corn now that I realize that each one of those hairs helps develop each single kernel of corn. I may still complain cleaning the corn but I'll understand why all the work is worth it.
The kids enjoyed their cider and doughnuts even though they were being chased by bees (so much for the bee lesson of just stay still and ignore them). Had a fun time on the hayride and getting pumpkins.
Sadly, the trip ended with Matt being stung by a bee on his neck. What is ironic is that he didn't get stung at the farm, he got stung coming off the bus back at the school.  I have a feeling one got trapped in his jacket and when he moved just the right way it was "released" and took its revenge.  Anyway, he didn't have an allergic reaction to this first sting.  
Bee sting aside it was a great time!!




No comments:

Post a Comment