I previously mentioned that Emily was going through a re-evaluation in regard to her IEP now that she is enrolled in a new school.
Today we had an appointment with the Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrician. He is a very nice man. Emily was very nervous even though I kept reassuring her "this doctor doesn't give shots" and he was just going to ask her questions and talk with her.
I was up first giving Emily's developmental history from the time we had our first concerns through all the services she's received over the last 6 years. Mind you I have not had to give a history regarding Emily for 6 years....funny how much you can recall when needed.
After my meeting with him, Emily had her turn.....I had "homework" and had to fill out another behavioral form while I waited for them to finish. Emily thought it hilarious I had "homework".
We quickly met all together for him to get some physical vitals (height, weight, BP, etc.) on Emily and then he had me into the office while Emily waited in the waiting room.
He told me she is sweet and endearing and that he would classify her within the autistic spectrum. Emily's main struggles are within her pragmatic and conversational speech and lacks social skills and cues. Now I know some of you are saying "what, that's not Emily!" But I am telling you that although hearing that was like a punch in my stomach that is Emily.
Emily get's stuck within her own thoughts of what she finds important and interesting and when talking with people she makes statements but does not really look to engage in conversation regarding what she is talking about. If you can get a word in don't change the topic.....she will bring it right back to what she is interested in. You can see how for an adult this may seem sweet that she is so emphatic about what she likes but peers may find it weird and awkward. Emily has difficulty in starting and holding conversations for even short periods of time. She also still has trouble where she isn't always clear in what she is saying....either omitting words or entire concepts. I could give you examples but that would make this post way too long.
Yes, Emily has come a long way from where she was but there is still work to be done.
As a parent, my initial reaction to this classification was one of sadness.....mainly because of the social struggles Emily will endure in her future. BUT in that same moment I was reminded of how God has provided for Emily these last 6 years. She has made remarkable progress and thankfully she has been unaware of how she is "different" from other kids. But my heart still aches in concern, thinking of how kids in her age range can be cruel, and my momma bear instinct want to defend her from all hurt.
I am reminded though that Emily is a gift to us from God and one that we have given back to Him. It is our privilege as her parents to guide her and stand in the gap for her. We KNOW that God has an awesome plan for her life and it is our obligation and privilege to help her on her journey.
Now, all this being said we are still awaiting the complete findings from all of the evaluations (speech, psychological, etc.) that have been performed over the last several weeks. Our meeting to review the findings and recommendations will be on November 8th. At that time, we will know exactly what Emily will need to move from this point forward.
I also want to say that God truly works for our good. We decided to send the kids to HCS this year feeling led by God that this was what He desired from us and for them. This re-evaluation was a result of that school change and I'm happy that we will have a current evaluation of Emily's needs right here and now. My heart although a little bruised from today is also being tightly held by my Savior who is telling me "I've got this, just give her to me".

Thank you for being our teacher on this subject matter. I enjoyed your own article quite definitely and most of all enjoyed the way in which you handled the aspect I widely known as controversial. You happen to be always quite kind towards readers like me and help me in my life. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteYou know what? I think I fall within the autistic spectrum too. I always had trouble carrying on a conversation, even talking to my kids. I never know what to say and how to say it. Emily may never be the CEO of a fortune 500 company, but she can be who God wants her to be. She may never be a lawyer or a doctor, but she will be her own loving self. God uses the little people and the humble. I think you and Dave have done a marvelous job with our grandkids. We love them just the way they are. Yes, Emily may have struggles down the road, but everybody has them. God knows the end from the beginning!
ReplyDelete