Saturday, October 27, 2012

Rainbow ...... a Promise

Once again, we are under the threat of a serious storm hitting our area of New Jersey. It seems to be coming a common occurrence - last year Hurricane Irene came to visit and we had an October snow storm around this same time. 
We are personally blessed that in our town where flooding does occur due to the river running through it our home is located at the top of a hill. However, not only does the heart of our community lie in a flood zone many of our friend's homes in different towns are in flood zones. Many who suffered great loss during Irene.
We stand in the promise and comfort that all things are in God's hands. Yes, we have anxiety and give that over to God but we prepare for what may come and pray that if it is in His will to keep it from effecting us He will do so.
Today, we took the kids to a fall festival at a large park. Both kids chose different rides so I headed to the swings with Emily, while Dave went with Matt to the bumper cars.  As I was standing there watching Emily, my eyes were drawn to the sky and right above me was a rainbow. What made me smile was that the rainbow was upside-down so it looked like a colorful smile. As I looked closer in the sky, I saw another fainter rainbow mirroring this one a slight distance away and a few more peeking out from areas where sun was shining through the cloud cover.
Taking in this beauty what came to mind was how God used that rainbow as a promise.  The rainbow was God's sign to Noah as His promise to never flood the earth again. Now do I think this means this storm won't come, not necessarily. In that moment and even now, I have the comfort of God in my heart. He knows what we are feeling right now, He knows what we will go through and through it all He will be right there with us. Good or bad. He is all we need to make it through each day, each minute, each second.  
So no matter what comes, God will be with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment