Tonight's dinner is one that I'm again calling my own again as I've been making it for so long and I don't remember where the recipe came from. I think there are many versions out there but this is our family's favorite.
This is another recipe where I was able to prep a portion of it prior to getting the kids from school so it could "simmer" for the required hour and not make it where we were eating too late - seeing we get home from school pickup a little later.
Here is the recipe:
Porcupine Meatballs (Serves 4-6 - I was able to make 15 meatballs from this recipe)
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup chopped onion (optional - no "crunchies" for Matt so we omit them)
1 tsp salt (I use about a 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp celery salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 lb. meatloaf mix (beef, pork, veal) just our preference although today I only used beef and pork
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 cup water
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp Wocestershire sauce
Preheat oven the 400 degrees.
In a bowl, combine the 1st seven ingredients. Add meat and mix well. Shape into 1 - 1/2 inch balls. Place on baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 12 mins. (You could also saute these but I prefer baking them and omitting some of the fat that is produced by the meat.) Place meatballs in a large deep skillet.
Combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, water and worcestershire sauce in a bowl; pour over meatballs in the skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Enjoy!!!
This reminds me a lot of the meat mixture you find inside of a stuffed green pepper and the tomato sauce that it is baked in just no green pepper taste for those who are not "into" them. Wonder who I could mean by that?
No comments:
Post a Comment