Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Another 1st for the History Books

Today was the day! First day of school!  Its hard to believe that Emily is in Fourth Grade and Matthew is in Second. 
The kids both woke up with their alarms and hit the ground running - well, Matt had to do several stretches first.  I had told both of them before going to bed that when they woke up they needed to eat breakfast, get dressed and make their lunches - no DS, no TV, no Wii (summer is over).  
Emily was done with breakfast before Matthew even started. Matt and I decided his lunch options while he was eating breakfast. When he was done, he turned to me and said "now what?" I told him "get dressed" to which he relied "oh, right!" He was dressed very quickly even with socks and shoes.  Emily got her lunch together after getting dressed. It was a little strange because Matt was actually ready before Emily - that is a rarity. Both kids were ready to go out the door with their backpacks at 7:30. I can't believe I actually had to tell them to slow down and relax.
Of course, we had to take our first day of school pictures.  Sadly, the weather here was a little gloomy and gray so we took the annual photos indoors in front of the fireplace.
All smiles!!
Matthew is such a schmoozer!  While packing his lunch, he decided that he wanted to take one of the cookies we baked yesterday to Mrs. Horn, the school Principal. As soon as we walked in the school doors, he was searching her out. He found her and presented her with his "gift". He also told me that he shared another cookie with his new teacher, Miss Brown. This really didn't surprise me as Matthew shared a lot of his snack with his teacher last year. Both he and Emily love to give. A trait I hope they continue the rest of their lives.
When I picked the kids up from school, they were both very happy. Emily told me all about the time line they will be doing and was asking her teacher, Mr. Kline, when they would be starting it.  She was asking for homework already - crazy girl!  
Matt wanted to show me the pull down map he has in his classroom and the behavior sticks. You get four each day and can lose them for bad behavior.  He also showed me the responsibility chart and his "job".  I couldn't seem to get them to leave which isn't a bad thing.
I did find out that Emily, during recess, did have a moment of being upset but thankfully an older friend who knows her from church and now attends the school came over to see if she was alright. I am so happy she was there for her.

Tonight we headed out for our annual "back to school" dinner.  Dave has a work function this evening so the kids and I went to Friendly's to celebrate - after all you get a meal and a treat all in one place.  
We came home where Matt did a quick page and a half of homework (cursive writing here we come) and now both kids are getting some technology time before some quiet time and reading.  
It was a great first day and we are all looking forward to the year to come!!!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment