Today on the way to school the kids and I talked about the significance of today. How people went to work that September morning not knowing what it would bring. How people who don't like our country decided to hurt us and many people died that day. How when the towers were struck people went to help those inside and in the end many of them sacrificed their lives. I explained that today is a day to remember the people who died and those who loved them, the people who sacrificed their lives in service of others and the people who protect our country every day in the armed forces.
Also, it is a day for us to thank God that on that day, their daddy came home.
As I finished my workout in the park, my heart was speaking. I want the kids to know that we should thank and serve those who serve us. In that moment, my "lightbulb" went off and I was off to Walmart. While the kids were at school, I baked several batches of chocolate chip cookies. After I picked them up from school, we headed to our town police department to give them our "thank you" of cookies. Sadly our fire departments are volunteer because I would have liked to "thank" them too.
My reason for this post is not for you to applaud us for what we did but to let you know that I realize as Emily and Matt's mother it is my responsibility to nurture and train my children. It is the God given blessing I received at their birth. My kids will not learn unless they are taught and it is my job as their mother to be their example not only in word but in action. It is in serving others where we can find the greatest joy and I want them to experience that...... not looking for something in return but just having a heart overflowing with joy having made someone feel appreciated and loved. My hope would be that next year when they hear this day is upon us they will be reminded of our "thank you" and want to serve again but also that this moment will build in them the desire to love and serve others every day of their lives.
My reason for this post is not for you to applaud us for what we did but to let you know that I realize as Emily and Matt's mother it is my responsibility to nurture and train my children. It is the God given blessing I received at their birth. My kids will not learn unless they are taught and it is my job as their mother to be their example not only in word but in action. It is in serving others where we can find the greatest joy and I want them to experience that...... not looking for something in return but just having a heart overflowing with joy having made someone feel appreciated and loved. My hope would be that next year when they hear this day is upon us they will be reminded of our "thank you" and want to serve again but also that this moment will build in them the desire to love and serve others every day of their lives.

No comments:
Post a Comment