Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring Break.....Spring Cleaning

This week is spring break for the kids and for us that means time to clean! 

When the kids were younger, I would deep clean while they were in school. Okay, mainly for Matt. Emily definitely inherited my cleaning, organizing gene. For the last two years, I've had the kids involved in the cleaning process. 
So, what will this week's cleaning entail? It means first in their rooms we will go through clothes in their dresser and closet, toys in bins and the closet and all of their books. As you can see from the picture, Matt is in major need of a cleaning intervention. He has more of a hoarding gene which I have no idea where that comes from.  
We will also tackle the basement/play area. Toys, books, DVD's and Wii games are going to be sorted through and organized. One thing we will be doing this spring cleaning that we have not done in the past is washing walls. We are preparing for the painting process that will be occurring in the weeks to come. On the painting docket: Matt's room, kitchen, hallway, dining room and staircase area. There is nothing like a new coat of paint or color to make things fresh and new!
We start our cleaning tomorrow but I don't want you to think that I am all business. Each day I have a fun activity planned to offset the work and I am hoping by Thursday and/or Friday we will have a special date to celebrate the work we accomplished.  
With the recent institution of daily chores, we have tried to explain to the kids that this is their home too and that we all need to work together in its upkeep. There is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment when you participate, working together to complete a task. This is something I want the kids to understand and strive for - the good feeling of working hard. Not looking for a reward but just knowing that they completed a job well done.  
So think of this week as we are cleaning and I will keep you apprised of our progress.  Oh, and I have a feeling a large garage sale will be happening in the next few months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment