Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Monday Menu - Greek Steak Pitas with Dill Sauce


Last night started our weekly dinner menu.  
First up were these steak pitas. I've made these before and they get mixed reviews. Dave and I love them so we would be a thumbs up rating. Emily doesn't care for steak (or chicken, or beef, or pork - you get the idea) although she would be happy to eat the pita just filled with the dill sauce, lettuce and feta. I guess she would give it a side thumb rating along with Matt. He likes steak but I do have to eliminate the lettuce. One of his favorite things about this meal is the cheta (translation = feta). Of course, if you are not a steak eater, I'm sure you can substitute with chicken. 
As for where the recipe came from, I honestly don't remember as I already had this recipe printed out for my family planner.  Here are the details if you are interested in giving it a taste. 

Greek Steak Pitas 
(Serves 4 - 2 stuffed pita halves)

Sauce:
1/2 cup plain f/f Greek yogurt
2 tsp. chopped fresh dill
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
Steak: 
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound flank steak, trimmed

cooking spray
4 - 6 inch pitas, cut in half
4 romaine lettuce leaves, halved
1/4 cup crumbled feta

To prepare sauce, combine first 5 ingredients, stirring with a whisk. To prepare steak, combine lemon juice through steak in a large zip top plastic bag, seal. Marinate in refrigerator 10 minutes, turning once. Remove steak from bag and discard marinade. Place steak on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 6 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Line each pita half with one lettuce leaf half. Divide steak evenly among the pita halves. Spoon 1 tablespoon sauce and 1 1/2 teaspoons feta into each pita half. 
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment