Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cold Feet

Emily really dislikes dressing for the fall/winter weather. It seems like it will take months to get in her head that it is colder outside and you need warmer clothes. Every morning we "battle" over the fact that she needs to wear a long sleeved shirt and not a short sleeved shirt (of course, the short sleeved shirts are changed into as soon as she comes home from school, that is our compromise). That battle is followed by the debate between pants/jeans and a skirt. Today I asked her is she was going to wear jeans and she told me, "No mom, I'm a skirt girl". Thankfully she has taken to my requirement that if she wears a skirt, she has to wear tights (most of the time footless, so she can wear ballet styled shoes) or knee high socks. The coat is whole other story. We now debate over whether she can wear a sweatshirt, spring coat or winter coat. Most of our clothing conversations are started by my saying one thing and Emily replying, "here's the deal" followed by options. Just an FYI, "here's the deal" those are my words coming back to haunt me. Nighttime wear is no different. Emily loves nightgowns and even though I bought her 3 long sleeved ones, her first choice is to wear the summer sleeveless nightgowns. The only area that Emily has without any word from us conceded to fall/winter wear is putting socks on before going to bed at night. She says they keep her warm.
So, the one morning after Emily left for school I went into her room to make her bed and this is who I found -piggy with socks on. I guess piggy has been getting cold at night too. It brought a smile to my face when I saw the extra special care she took to make piggy comfortable.
I'm sure, make that positive, Emily and I will continue to have our daily "battles" over what she needs to wear but it warms this mommy's heart to see the care she takes of another...especially her well-loved piggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment