We started a tradition with Emily & Matt that on the days leading up to Thanksgiving starting with the first day of November they write down one thing they are thankful for. Last year, I cut leaves from cardstock they wrote their "thanks" on which were displayed on the cabinetry in our dining room. Prior to that we did a pennant banner.
This year I wanted to do something "different".
While perusing Pinterest, I got inspired. A pinner had taken a canvas and used lighted imitation vines and twigs to make a wall art piece.
Working with my friend Debbie, we each made these wall pieces to display our family's "leaves of thanks" for this year. You can see a picture of her's on her blog: Deleitate
The materials used were an 18 x 24 artist's canvas we painted spring pasture green and haze blue and twigs that were adhered with hot glue. We gave the twigs a little extra security by tying them down with twine. The twine was covered by the moss which was also adhered with hot glue.
The leaves were cut with my Cricut from card-stock in hues representing the colors of fall. A hole punch was used to be able to thread the leaves onto the twigs.
Each night I ask a person in the family (we are on a Matt, Emily, Dave, Kathy rotation) to choose something they are thankful which I write on a leaf and place on a twig. So far a few are God, friends, school, Miss Brown (Matt's teacher), power......we try to keep it light hearted but real.
It is so important to Dave and me that we have the kids recognize just how blessed we are, how God has and continues to provide for our family. This is just a small way to do that.
A plus is that not only are we keeping our tradition of "thanks" but we are creating a piece of art. For winter, I think snowflakes may find there way onto the branches. You'll have to wait and see.

I think this is such a neat idea. It would have worked well in a school classroom, too.
ReplyDelete