Sunday, December 7, 2008

Revisiting the Past


It seems only fitting to select a picture from the past that includes Emily and Matt's oldest cousin on the Papp family side, Brian, especially since he will be celebrating his 19th birthday this Friday (12/12). I took this picture of Brian "playing" basketball with Emily when we visited Illinois in July 2004. At the time when I took it, I was just taking pictures of the kids playing. Later when I developed it, I thought of its significance. This is my oldest brother's oldest child playing with my oldest child. There is a 12 1/2 year difference between these two cousins. The sad thing is that they hardly know each other. I'm sure Brian can remember back to our visit, but Emily only remembers it when looking at pictures from that trip in her scrapbook. There is very little I regret in my life, I know that all that has happened has been part of God's plan for me and my family. If however I could change one thing, it would be the distance between family. I regret that my kids have not "known" their cousins - on both sides of the family. I remember being at the hospital the day Brian was born and seeing him grow while I was attending Moody Bible and Dennis was at Trinity. I never thought that that would be the most time I would spend with my nephew. Although, I am sad that I have missed time with Brian and his sister, Shellie, and brother, Nathan, it makes my heart ache that both Emily and Matt will only really know them in glimpses of their memories from visits (which sadly have been few) and pictures. The thing I have learned is that family is so very important whether they be near or far. It is important to keep in touch, whether it be through a blog, facebook or some other means of communication, a card even - it doesn't have to be a phone call. Soon Brian will be out on his own starting his adult "life" and the only advice I can give to you on your 19th birthday is always remember the importance of family and if you can keep them close.

No comments:

Post a Comment