Even though the first day of spring was Thursday March 21st the 4th grade arts and crafts class still completed their snow families on Friday the 22nd. This idea was located via Pinterest here.
Like I usually do, I prepared a sample that the kids could refer to when working on their projects. My snow family included Dave, myself, Emily, Matt and I couldn't help but include Mr. Jingle.
The class had already painted the 5 x 7 canvases with light blue acrylic paint at the end of a previous class. Several had also "applied" their snow people. The people are the finger portions of their hand that we covered with white tempura paint and "stamped" onto the canvas. For those who had to still apply their snow people during that day's class, we used a hair dryer to dry the paint once "stamped" so they could "dress" their snow people.
Because of my previous love of overbuying craft supplies, I had plenty of permanent color markers in a vast array of colors and tip sizes that the students were able to use to "dress" their families. Oh and just a side note, I have curbed my love for overbuying.
After their families were dressed, they went to another table where I had two additional embellishment stations. At the first station, I had a paper plate that had more of the white tempura. The students used Q-tips to make the round snowflakes. They also used a pouncer to create the ground under the snow people. Several of the students pounced around all the edges of the canvas creating a "frame" effect.
Once this was done, they moved onto the glitter station. First, they took a brush and added some modge podge to areas all over the canvas. Then, they sprinkled glitter on top of the glue. I provided silver and blue glitter. Also at this station was Epsom salt that they could sprinkle on top of the modge podged areas creating the look of falling snow.
As you can see, each of the students snow families showed not only the uniqueness of their individual families but also their own creative abilities. Great job 4th grade!
As always, thanks for stopping by!

No comments:
Post a Comment