In February, I introduced mosaics to the 3rd and 4th grade arts and crafts classes. After seeing this project on Pinterest and having Valentine's day just pass, I chose to use a heart as the focal point of their mosaic.
My first and most tedious task was to cut a significant amount of small squares from colored paper to mimic mosaic tiles. These are 1/2" inch squares. I then cut 6 x 6 white pieces of paper that the students would glue stick the colored "tiles" on. To make things a little easier for the students, I cut a heart from a heavier card stock that the they would use as a template to trace onto their paper. With the supplies ready, I started the sample project that the kids could refer to in class.
On the sample, I traced the heart onto the right corner of the paper and made 4 sections where I would have different colored "tiles" coming from the heart.
This picture shows the completed arrays.
The heart was completed with red paper "tiles".
When I met with the 4th grade class, I gave them just three criteria for the project: 1) the heart had to be a part of the mosaic, 2) they had to use at least 4 colors, and 3) the heart had to be the focal point, standing out from the background they created. Other than these criteria, they were to use their creative talents.
I also advised them that it was best to start by gluing down the tiles that would form straight lines and avoid any cutting until that portion was completed. Truly the most difficult part of the project was cutting the "tiles" that butted up to the heart as they needed to be curved edges and not just straight cuts.
Here are their projects at the end of the first session.
Then after our second 40 minute session.
Finally at our 3rd class, these are the hearts that were completed.
Because I only allotted 3 classes for this project, several students had to take "tiles" home to complete their mosaics.
The students that did finish their projects spent the remainder of the class painting small canvases that would be used for their next project.
After I completed the mosaic project with the 4th grade, I did adjust it for the 3rd grade. They still had the same 3 criteria but the shape used was a cross. This eliminated the difficulty of cutting curved edges on the small paper "tiles".
Here is a picture of some of the 3rd grade class's cross mosaics at the end of their first session.
I was very happy with how both classes did on their projects especially since this was their first time making a mosaic.
As always, thanks for stopping by!





No comments:
Post a Comment