Several weeks prior to Easter, the 4th grade arts and crafts class used their creative abilities to make "framed" paper strip Easter eggs.
I found the original idea of course on Pinterest here.
Prior to this class, I spent quite a bit of time prepping the supplies needed. I printed out the egg template provided at the original website. The base paper and shimmer "frame" paper were items I already had in my home craft supplies. As for the paper strips, I had a "slab" of coordinating decorative card stock and packages of coordinating colored paper on hand that I used cutting them into 1/2" x 8" strips.
Being a crafter, I already have two paper cutters here at home. However, they are not made for the amount of paper I have found myself cutting as of late. The one cutter is an older Fiskar model and the blade I had on hand was dull making the paper strip edges frayed. My other cutter, although cutting clean edges, makes a horrible noise when cutting, like nails on a chalkboard. Thankfully I had another day before class so that night I took the plunge and upgraded to a more "professional" paper cutter. Best buy ever!!!
With the papers strips cut, template copied onto the card stock backing and "frame" papers and the sample project in hand, class was ready to begin.
First, using the egg backing paper as a guide, the students laid out the design they would create with the decorative and colored paper strips. After they made their design, they then glued the strips on top of the egg template. For the frame, I used an Exacto knife to cut a portion of the egg center out and then the students used scissors to cut out the remaining portion of the egg.
Because we only had one class to complete this project and the paper strips were just glued, I chose not to have the students adhere the "frames" during class. As a matter of fact, I took the kids "eggs" and "frames" home, let them dry and then adhered the frames with Super 77 adhesive.
One of the best parts of this project was that they were able to be displayed in the school hallway for a few weeks before the students took them home at the start of Easter break. There is nothing like seeing the pride students have when their work is displayed. Once again, they did a great job!
As always, thanks for stopping by!



No comments:
Post a Comment