It was so great today to be able to get back to teaching my Friday Arts & Crafts class.
Due to our NJ weather and a few scheduled school events, I haven't been as organized as I'd like to be when it comes to completing projects in a timely manner. Today however, with the approval of the art teacher, I was able to have class with both the 3rd and 4th grade where we created and completed a Valentine's day project. Yay!!!
I pulled this woven heart idea from the website Family Chic. I made a sample heart so that the kids would know what all their hard work would accomplish. Now, I did quite a bit of prep for the classes today mainly so we could complete the project in one 40 minute session.
The heart frames are created using floral wire that is wrapped in craft paper. The site I took this idea from shows a large coil of the wire which you need to cut to length but I was able to find some already pre-cut at JoAnn Fabrics. In order to save class time for weaving, I structured all the hearts needed at home.
I also pre-cut the yarn needed for both classes. The kids had the option of choosing this multicolored yarn which has varying shades of red, pink and purple and a dark garnet red yarn. The yarn was cut into lengths of 6 yards per heart. I would probably recommend cutting the yarn into 2 yards, giving them 3 piles each just so it is easier for the weaving process. Of course, they would need to knot each new section to the heart frame and then continue the weaving process.
This project does require a lot of manual dexterity and patience. I did alert each class that this was going to be a little difficult but to just hang in there and pay close attention to the directions I gave them. As with anything in arts & crafts, some were able to get the hang of it easily, to some it came with time and for others it proved a little difficult. All in all though they did a great job. Thankfully one of the 4th graders took very easily to it and she was given permission to assist me in helping the 3rd grade with their hearts.
Here are some of the students creations:
Curtis' heart - 3rd grade
Annabell's heart - 4th grade
Rachel's heart - 3rd grade
Jesreal's heart - 3rd grade
I was very pleased with how all the students did even though some of them felt they didn't do so well. Of course, I tried to encourage them by saying when you do something the first time it may not be exactly the way you want it to be but you tried and that is the first step. You can always try again. Also, the more you do something the easier it becomes and you'll get the results you want.
One of the best things that happened in these classes today was that when some of the students completed their heart they asked if they could help another student who was having a little difficulty. Helping one another, a byproduct of weaving hearts, now that is what I call a successful class!
As always, thanks for stopping by!




No comments:
Post a Comment