Thursday, February 13, 2014

Scalloped Hearts on Sunday

As most of you know, I teach the 4 and 5 year old Sunday School class at my church. 
This past Sunday's lesson was about Jesus loving the children and what an appropriate lesson with Valentine's day being this Friday. 
Although the lesson material does provide a coordinating weekly "craft" project, I've been trying to do a special craft with them once a month, especially around the holidays. This month's craft was all about the LOVE!!!
The craft itself, scalloped hearts, I found from my main arts & crafts source Pinterest through the website Alana Jones-Mann
I purchased from Michaels heavy card stock precut hearts. Then, used my Cricut cutter to cut 1 inch circles from red, purple and pink card stock purchased from JoAnn's. Now, I love JoAnn's for many things but I have to say I prefer Michael's Bazzill card stock. I have found that it cuts much cleaner on my Cricut machine than JoAnn's line of card stock. Just saying! 
We used glue sticks to adhere the colored circles to the heart shape. It is best to apply the glue to the back of the circle as you need to overlap the hearts. When we started the project, we attempted to do a pattern of purple, pink and red. A few of the kids were able to stay with the patterning but most of them did their "own thing" which was perfectly fine. The circles go off the sides of the heart, so at the end of the project scissors are use to cut the excess off defining the true heart shape. 
On the back side, I wrote for each of the kids (mainly for time purposes) who their heart was for and their message to them. Some were for mom & dad, brothers and sisters, even pets.
Here are a few of the kids with their hearts:
Daniela - age 4 
Violet  - age 4 
Anthony - age 5
Because our lesson was about Jesus' love,  I gave the kids a "love" project for Valentine's day. I told them to go to every person in their family give them a big hug and say, "I love you and Jesus loves you too" and that I would check to see who remembered to hug their family next Sunday. The funniest thing was one of the kids said she was going to do it right after church because she will forget to do it on Valentine's day. Love these kids!
As always, thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment