I've been thinking of different things to do with the kids during their upcoming summer break and one thing I decided is that we would visit our local library one day a week. I haven't taken the kids since they were little and Emily has been asking to go for a while now.
Yesterday on our way home from church, I told them of my idea and asked what day they would want to do this and they said Monday. A little further down the road, they said as if a light bulb went off in their heads at the same time that tomorrow is Monday so we get to go to the library. I took the time to explain that in order for us to do that we would need to do their homework first then look for books. I have to say I was a little nervous about this just hoping that the quiet of the library would get them to work quickly and quietly - this is not always the case at home. Dave still is home so he was able to come along too!
The kids sat down and started without any complaining, moaning or groaning. It was wonderful. Matt finished first and Dave helped him search out some fire related books. :) After a little longer, Emily finished her work and searched out some books.
Dave and I were so pleased with how well and quickly homework went we're thinking this may be the place to head to after school. Due to Emily having tutoring on Monday and Tuesday, we would get there a little later but it went so well I am willing to try this again.
Matthew got his first library card, Emily has had her card for a while now. The only "trick" now is going to be keeping the library books in one area so we don't loose them in the kids other books - mainly Matt's, he got 7 books. Emily will remember the 2 she got. We've made a little place on the bench in the living room where the books must go back to until I can figure something out. All in all a change of venue was a wonderful success. Thank you Lodi Library!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment