Thursday, August 21, 2008

I Never Imagined I'd Be....


Remember when you were a kid and your parents did things and took you to places that you said you would never do that or go there if it were your choice. It is funny how in most circumstances we find ourselves doing exactly what we vowed we would never do. First example of this would be wearing slippers. I remember my dad would always come into the house remove his shoes and put on his schleepies (slippers). I think numerous attempts were made to have us kids wear them but to no avail. Can I tell you right now what I have on my feet...schleepies. Not only do I put them on when I get in the house, I tend to wear them outside (quick little outdoor tasks - not to stores) and I always take them with me when we travel. They have become a staple. My next example has to do with a little trip we took this week to Atlantic City to watch an airshow. Dad was always into planes and airshows. It was something I didn't really enjoy as a kid but went along for the ride. So, I find myself amazed that I ended up 2 hours from home, on a beach, waiting to see planes fly over me. I have to say it was fun. Of course, it help to be on the beach, with an umbrella and activity for the kids between flights/demonstrations instead of on a hot tarmac. Dave was remembering the planes he use to hear when he lived in Florida....it was like memory lane for both of us and a great experience. I even called my dad and left a message saying "guess where I am and what I am doing right now". Funny how the things you didn't always enjoy as a kid come full circle and end up being a lot of fun and something you enjoy. I can't say airshows will become a staple like my "schleepies" but I do know Dave already has plans for us to attend a "Wings and Wheels" show at Teterboro airport in September. One thing I can promise that will not come full circle - gun shows...sorry dad, but my feet thank you for the schleepies and my eyes for a good plane show...the ears not so much when the Thunderbirds flew by but what is a plane like that without a big noise. (This is a picture we took of the Thunderbirds at the show.....getting pics not easy thing when something goes so fast.)

No comments:

Post a Comment