Today is a very happy and yet eye opening day for me. Today is Emily's 11th birthday. It seems like just yesterday I was in the hospital awaiting her arrival which came at 6:40 pm.
Its funny how in the day to day of life, you don't always "see" how quickly your children are growing. The rush of getting them off to school and to activities overshadows the passing of days. But then there are those moments when the reality of time hits you right in the face.
Now am I all that surprised she is 11 today? No! She's been asking me for months if I can believe she is turning 11, to which I always replied "yes". However, when I think of the years and events approaching within those years, I sit back in astonishment of how little time she has left to be "little". In 2 years she'll be 13, in 5 years she'll be allowed to drive, in 8 years she'll be graduating high school, in 9 heading off to college and who knows when marriage will come into the picture. Now, I am not trying to rush these years, I'm just in the frame of mind that soon she will be a young woman "on her own" and my job as the day to day mom will have ended. Yes, I am well aware motherhood never ends but the season of being needed on a daily basis will have ended and my motherly role will change.
Even now we are entering a new season together! Emily is no longer a little girl. She is definitely a preteen who is turning into a beautiful young lady. Oh, we have our times of butting heads but thankfully God has blessed her with a sweet spirit so these times rarely happen and I'm praying it stays that way through the teen years to come.
When I think of my life, I cannot imagine it without her. God truly blessed us with our little girl. He has also challenged us through her too! If someone told me before having her, that she would experience social and educational needs, I would have panicked and wondered "how in the world do we get through this". I believe God does not give us more than we can handle. I'm also grateful that He doesn't always reveal what is coming ahead of time, because in my human insecurity I would want to turn and run, not depending on His love and goodness and sadly miss out on amazing blessings. Emily's needs have been met beyond what we could have imagined. The teacher's she has had, the case worker's, Sunday School teacher's, family friends and friends have all been placed in her life at just the right time and I know that is all a God thing.
This past year we've seen Emily grow in her belief and faith in God. I cannot tell you how much that means to us as believers. As a matter of fact, next Sunday she along with Matt will be being baptized.
This a quote I've been waiting to put up in Emily's room and I believe now is the time as she enters this preteen stage of her life. I want her to know that not only is she precious to us even more so she is precious to God. He has an amazing plan for her life and she need only to surrender it to her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
As she starts her 11th year, my prayer for her is that she grows in God and continues to become an amazing young lady.
We had an amazing day today celebrating the beginning of this new year. She was happy to get her birthday present and eat her moustache birthday cake. Tomorrow starts another year and a year God has intended for her.
As she starts her 11th year, my prayer for her is that she grows in God and continues to become an amazing young lady.
We had an amazing day today celebrating the beginning of this new year. She was happy to get her birthday present and eat her moustache birthday cake. Tomorrow starts another year and a year God has intended for her.
Happy 11th birthday, Emily!!! We love you so very much!!

No comments:
Post a Comment