Saturday, June 1, 2013

Emily's Mooostache

Now, most girls do not want a moustache but Emily, she loves them!! Not on her personally but on anything else it is "awesome".
To say she is obsessed with them would be an understatement. Earlier this week we went shopping at Claires and she decided she needed a new wallet. At first, she was all set on getting a wallet with owls and a cute little saying and that was quickly tossed aside when she found this moustache one. 
Now when you talk to Emily about her newest obsession you must pronunciate it the Emily way "mooostaches". 
Tomorrow is Emily's birthday and due to other planned activities and her gift choice she is not having a birthday party. Now usually for birthdays if there isn't a party we buy a small cake that serves 4 from the local food store. In Emily's case, it would be cheesecake, her other obsession. 
This year, however, I made a minor mistake by showing Emily a cake on Pinterest that was of course a moustache. What was I thinking? Of course, that is the cake she wants. So, after not having made a birthday cake for her last 10 birthday's and Matthew's 7, I attempted to make her a moustache birthday cake.
First, I baked 2 9-inch cakes. Emily chose to have red velvet cake. Now, I'm a persnickety person when it comes to red velvet anything. For my birthday, I get a red velvet cupcake from Cupcakes by Carousel which in my opinion is the best red velvet cupcake I have ever tasted. I also love PF Chang's red velvet dessert "shot". So, making a boxed red velvet cake, let alone a cake at all is a great task for me. I do have to say it did look very good when I brought it out of the over and after it cooled it looked very moist.  
Now, I did pull up the picture/instructions for the cake when I went to cut it just so I did it correctly.
I did make it a double layered cake. The one on Pinterest was a single layer. What concerned me most was with the amount of "loose" cake crumbs because the one side is flipped over and cutting in half exposed the inner part of the cake.  This made me a little concerned about the frosting stage.
Of course, a moustache needs to be a proper color and Emily was okay with the idea that I may only be able to make a brown one.  However, when I was on my Hobby Lobby endeavor yesterday, I made sure to peruse the baking section. There it was black food color. It is made by Americolor and it is a soft gel paste. I did make sure to transfer the frosting to a metal bowl to mix in the color....could you image what a plastic bowl would look like after this.  I didn't make it too dark, I would say it is more of a dark gray, mainly because I was unsure if I would need more frosting and I didn't want to not be able to make the same color a second time. If you are looking for unusual colors for frosting, definitely look at the baking section in the craft stores. 

When I was finished,  I was very pleased. I called up Emily to check it out and when she saw it she got the biggest smile on her face....that was enough to know I did good!! Tomorrow we get to eat it and I hope it tastes as good as it looks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment