Friday, February 22, 2013

The Food Rating are In

Yay, I am back in the weekly dinner menu routine again.  
I took the time on Monday to make up a menu plan for the next month.  Our family has favorite "easy" meals but I find that I really do like to cook and expose the family to new food. 
We have instituted a food rating here to determine if a meal should be added to our family menu binder. It is a pretty simple rating: thumbs up for "yummy, make it again", thumb side ways for "okay, but not great" and thumbs down for "please not again" - majority rules. 
So, here are the new "items" we have tried so far this week:

Skinny Chicken Parmesan Muffins:
This meal got a thumbs up from everyone. The recipe can be found at Skinny Mom.  I think the kids love this because it was shaped into a muffin. Also, Emily had no complaints that it was made with chicken.

Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pork:
Everyone but Emily liked this meal. We tried to tell her "at least its not chicken".  I don't know where I go the recipe from but here it is:

Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Pork
Crockpot: 4-6 High; 8-10 Low

1/2 c chopped onion
2-4 lb. hunk of pork
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 c water
1/2 c ketchup
3 T red wine vinegar
2 T brown sugar
2 T soy sauce
1 t dijon
1/2 t pepper
salt

Arrange onions in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place pork on top and spread garlic on pork.
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour over pork. For best results, cook on LOW 8-10 hours, or HIGH for 4-6. 

Red Velvet Gooey Butter Cookies:
It was time to try a treat. I found this recipe at Tidy Mom. Everyone knows how much I love red velvet so making this cookie should be no surprise. This one got 4 thumbs up, no surprise there either.

Baked Potato Soup:
Made this soup tonight for dinner. The recipe can be found at Skinny Taste. This one had mixed ratings:  Emily, side thumb; Matt, thumb down; me, side thumb; Dave, thumb up. Matt, doesn't like mashed potatoes so the fact the he gave it a thumbs down wasn't a surprise but he did eat the whole bowl. I liked it but wasn't "wowed" by it. 

So far it has been more good than bad ratings and we have more to go this week too!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment