With spring break just a week away and Easter happening at the end of their vacation, the 3rd grade arts and crafts class was in need of a "holiday" appropriate project.
Several months ago when I found this project on Pinterest I knew I wanted to do it for the Easter season. The 3rd grade class just happened to be the class whose schedule fit perfectly for us to be able to create these. What was even better is they were finishing them the Friday before their break so we would be able to display these for a week before they took them home.
As always, I made a sample of the project prior to class and this particular project required a "bit" of cutting prep. Thankfully I had already purchased my new "professional" paper cutter so this portion although tedious was quite easy. Each cross required four 1/2"x 8" and twenty 1/2" x 3" black strips of card stock per student for both the front and back outline of the cross. When I do these types of projects, I always cut supplies for 5 extra students just in case a piece is dropped or lost during the assembling process. The tissue paper pieces I found pre-cut at my local JoAnn's. Whew! that was a big help! The contact paper I had at home on hand so I cut two 12 x 18 pieces from the roll for each student - one for the base and one to overlay once decorated.
One of the best things I did regarding this project was go and set up the class room before the students arrived. After all each piece of contact paper, had to be laid out on the table for them to be able to start their project. I also taped a piece of exposed contact paper on the chalkboard so that I could show the kids step by step where to place their black strips to make the bottom outline of the cross. Once they completed that step, they were able to fill in the middle portion with the tissue paper squares in whatever color design or pattern they chose. When the middle was completed, the students then glued with a glue stick the remaining black outline pieces on top of the black underlining outline covering any color squares that overlapped. This step although not necessary makes a clean finish to the backside of the cross.
The kids were all able to finish this portion during class. After the class, I took the second piece of contact paper and carefully laid it over their creation sealing the two pieces of contact paper. Once I was done with this step, I then cut the excess contact paper away leaving a small edge.
I can't tell you how pleased I was with their work and the joy it gave me to be able to display their artwork in the school hallway. I didn't want to just put these on the wall as the "stained glass" effect would not be visible. So, with the loan of some ceiling clips, a paper clip and black pipe cleaner, their crosses were hung from the hallway ceiling around the overhead light so that the light would pass through the crosses.
Once again, the kids did a great job!
As always, thanks for stopping by!
As always, I made a sample of the project prior to class and this particular project required a "bit" of cutting prep. Thankfully I had already purchased my new "professional" paper cutter so this portion although tedious was quite easy. Each cross required four 1/2"x 8" and twenty 1/2" x 3" black strips of card stock per student for both the front and back outline of the cross. When I do these types of projects, I always cut supplies for 5 extra students just in case a piece is dropped or lost during the assembling process. The tissue paper pieces I found pre-cut at my local JoAnn's. Whew! that was a big help! The contact paper I had at home on hand so I cut two 12 x 18 pieces from the roll for each student - one for the base and one to overlay once decorated.
One of the best things I did regarding this project was go and set up the class room before the students arrived. After all each piece of contact paper, had to be laid out on the table for them to be able to start their project. I also taped a piece of exposed contact paper on the chalkboard so that I could show the kids step by step where to place their black strips to make the bottom outline of the cross. Once they completed that step, they were able to fill in the middle portion with the tissue paper squares in whatever color design or pattern they chose. When the middle was completed, the students then glued with a glue stick the remaining black outline pieces on top of the black underlining outline covering any color squares that overlapped. This step although not necessary makes a clean finish to the backside of the cross.
The kids were all able to finish this portion during class. After the class, I took the second piece of contact paper and carefully laid it over their creation sealing the two pieces of contact paper. Once I was done with this step, I then cut the excess contact paper away leaving a small edge.
I can't tell you how pleased I was with their work and the joy it gave me to be able to display their artwork in the school hallway. I didn't want to just put these on the wall as the "stained glass" effect would not be visible. So, with the loan of some ceiling clips, a paper clip and black pipe cleaner, their crosses were hung from the hallway ceiling around the overhead light so that the light would pass through the crosses.
Once again, the kids did a great job!
As always, thanks for stopping by!


No comments:
Post a Comment