Such an unassuming little casserole when you look at this picture. However, this little casserole caused quite a stir at dinner last night.
Originally I was planning it for tonight, Friday. Although a quick recipe, Emily was scheduled to have a baskeball game and by the time we would get home, I wasn't sure I wanted to put forth any effort on dinner. In the late morning, Emily called saying the game was cancelled and they were just going to do a practice. Practice goes from the end of school until 4:30 and we are usually home by 5 so, I changed gears and decided to give this little casserole a try.
I found this recipe for Sloppy Joe Casserole via Pinterest at the website Cravings of a Lunatic.
The original recipe calls for making it in a 9x13 baking dish. I know my family and that is just way too much for us 4 who are not big leftover eater. So, I went against my rule of always making a recipe exactly as is the first time and halved the recipe. Thankfully this adjustment did not lead to any quirkly measurements. Our casserole was made in an 8x8 baking dish.
I followed the recipe just as it was outlined and once assembled placed it in a 350 degree oven for 12 minutes. At the end of the alloted time, I checked and the top dough was not at all browning. So, I continued to bake it until it was which I believe ended up being a total of 25 minutes. Because the timing seemed so off, I did check the crescent roll wrapper just to see the normal baking time for the rolls. They are actually baked at 375 for 10 - 12 minutes. I tell you this so if you do make this casserole you will not be shocked if at the end of the alloted cooking time it is still not browned and you need to bake it longer. The next time I make this I am going to bake it at 375 for the 12 minutes watching to see if that temp works better.
The kids and I ate around 6. Matthew loved it an actually had a small second portion. Emily, well she is my against meat child so she said it was "okay". Dave came home around 8 and reheated a portion in the microwave. He is the one who said "Wow! This is really good!" When he is that pleased with a meal, you know that it is one that is going to be made again.
So go ahead and try it whether it be the full 9x13 or 8x8 portion and let me know what you think. I know we will be eating this again.
As always, thanks for stopping by!
No comments:
Post a Comment