Friday, January 24, 2014

A Surprise Read

By now you either know from experience or just from reading my blog that I have a wonderful, creative, imaginative, funny son! 
Matt can be very predictable. He loves to be home and prefers not going anywhere (he is a true homebody), no matter how much homework he is given it is always "so hard" and seems to take forever, when it comes to topics that interest him he will impart his knowledge on you whether you want to hear it or not......oh and he loves his Xbox, DS and Kindle (for games of course). 
Last Friday when I went to pick up the kid's from school, I noticed that Matt's teacher had posted the classes persuasive essays on the wall outside their classroom. 
I have to say for a split second I experience a moment of panic. Oh, what is my boy going to try and persuade people of. The thoughts were whirling in my head: revolt against homework, play Xbox all day, never go to school. 
Imagine my surprise when I read the title "Church is Fun". Oh, did I fail to mention how much Matt loves God. Most of the time his love of God is heard in his prayers but this was in written form and the picture he drew was priceless.
According to Matthew, this is why "Church is Fun":
"I want you to come to my church. First, you'll learn about Jesus. You will learn how he died, suffered and how he paid the price for us to be free.
Second, there will be games in Sunday School. There are going to be races. There are snowball fights made out of paper and ball games. I hope you could come to my church."
When I read this, I was overwhelmed by how much our church has effected my son. He knows the real reason for going - Jesus - but as a kid he relates to the the fun part of church. You see not only does Matt attend Sunday School but also Upstreet which is our children's church. Upstreet is run by a wonderful man, Joe Hegedus, who has a heart for teaching our kids about Jesus. We are so very thankful for all he does to expose our kids to God and His love for them.
So, my panic was replaced with joy. God is in Matt's heart and mind and is someone he wants to share with others. This essay is a small glimpse of that fact.
Oh, if you would like, you are always welcome to come to our church. After all, "Church is Fun."
As always, thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment