Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Child's Remorse

I can honestly say that both Emily & Matt have a healthy amount of guilty remorse when it comes to doing something that is not "pleasing" to mom & dad.
Matt, as soon as you start to discuss/ reprimand him about the error of his ways, will bow his head, get pouty which is followed by glassy eyes and then covers his face with his hands. He is our extra sensitive boy. Usually by the time you finish the reprimand you find yourself having to give him a pep talk to come out of his state of remorse.
Emily, also gets emotional. The first clue being the glassy eyes and then the quivering lip which usually ends in a cry fest. Don't get me wrong, I don't delight in my children being upset but it is nice to know that doing wrong does not result in giving them pleasure.
What I do find sweet is that Emily after getting in trouble feels she needs to do something to get back into our "good graces". Tonight, after getting is a little trouble and being put in a time out, she called me over to show me her "gift" to make things right - a penny write out of "I Love You!" with a heart and some stuffed animals and bric-a-brac as decoration. Emily was so proud of her "peace offering". You have to love seeing how kids react to the circumstances that occur in their lives and how their reactions mature as they mature.

No comments:

Post a Comment