
One thing I admire most about my niece Shellie is her level of commitment to a task. She is one of those people who evaluates things, commits to them and follows through. I don't know how long she has been doing this but each year Shellie pick something to "give up" for the year in the way of food. One year it was chips, another french fries and I believe this year it is pizza - sorry about the Giordano's trip. My brother Dennis being the great dad he is joins Shellie in her task. A few months ago, I was reading a book and wanted to give up my use of artificial sweetener (equal, truvia, aspartame, etc.) but I wasn't ready to commit to the task. About a month ago, I joined our local Gold's Gym and met with one of their trainers (Ishmael Parez - Ish for short) who is also a nutritionist. I signed up for a training program and part of that included doing a 5 day food journal. After one week, I was put on a nutrition plan to accomplish my fitness goals. The kicker is that it starts with an 8 week cleanse/re balancing of my body - ready for this it is a gluten and dairy free program and no artificial sweetener is allowed. I got my push. The first week was hard but I kept thinking if Shellie can do this so can I...she became my focal point for staying on task. Now, I am seeing the results of my eating and workout plans and I am thrilled. After the 8 weeks, we will reintroduce certain foods back into the program to determine how my body reacts to the food. As of Thursday, I started my fourth week on the program and am doing really well. Dave and the kids have been very supportive of this too - even have them eating a little healthier. I've found some great alternatives to wheat/gluten and dairy items (even found a bakery that caters to this style of eating - YUM) and have even gone a little organic. So, Shellie "thank you" for being my inspiration to stick to my goals and reap the benefits of the outcome.
I'm doing no butter or salt for the year. I thought I would cease to exist. Gotta admit, I'm doing ok. There are a few things I won't eat w/o butter, like pancakes and popcorn. That's been the toughest part...I'm made of popcorn and iced tea!
ReplyDeleteBTW...I agree...Shellie is amazing!
Good for you. I think since I started my eating regiment Dunkin Donuts stock has plummeted. Oh well, it is all for the cause of good health. By the way I can eat corn and veggies so your tacos and chips are still an option.
ReplyDelete