
Meet the newest addition to our "craft" family, Ruby the Spider. Emily's teacher, Miss Palummierri wants the kids to use their imaginations for Show & Tell not just bring in their favorite toy to show. She gives them a theme the Friday before the following week - Show & Tell is on Friday's - so they have a whole week to "create". This past week's theme was to show something that means the season fall to them and they needed to use 3 materials to create it. So, I asked Emily what reminds her of fall...well, after talking it somehow came down to a spider - Halloween related. Off to the craft store we went. This is the final product. Ruby is made of a Styrofoam ball, black felt strips hot glued to the body, green pipe cleaners for the legs and smile and of course googly eyes. I know that is 4 things but I did ask the teacher if googly eyes would count as a fourth item and she said "no"....just the main part needed to be 3 items. I have to tell you this was one of my favorite projects she has done so far. Emily even made a chart showing the materials you need so the other kids could make one too. Her teacher loved it and said it was unusual because when it was her turn to present "Ruby" she froze at first - not normal for her. Emily's projects are quite a hit at school. The kids want to make them and there are several teachers that come in just to see what she has made. I guess the creative streak of the family lives on in Emily. So, say welcome to our newest friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment