Leading up to Christmas, I wanted the 3rd & 4th grade classes to work on an arts & crafts project appropriate for the holiday. Sadly, I was only able to work with the 4th grade in getting the project done before Christmas but it is one I can definitely do with the 3rd grade come January.
I found this craft for "door bells" which I changed to "snow bells" at Martha Stewart. Most of the supplies I already had on hand in my craft room.
One of the items I did not have were the egg cartons for the bells. Thankfully the art room had several deli egg cartons on hand so that problem was solved. I used a utility knife to separate the carton into individual egg holders. This is definitely not a part for the kids to do and I definitely recommend using a utility knife as it creates a much cleaner cut than scissors. I cut three bells per student.
The next step was to paint the "bells". We used a metallic blue acrylic paint. The color was perfect for the snow theme - cool and icy!
Painting of the "bells" took one class period. The kids were to do two coats, painting a small canvas for an upcoming project between, but only one coat was completed.
The supplies needed for the next class session were darning needs (for threading the ribbon), ribbon, bells, modge podge, glitter and Epsom salts - the coffee of course was my aid to get me through class. The kids first threaded the ribbon on to the bell and through the top of the carton "bell" knotting the ribbon to secure the bell in place. Once they did all three we tied/knotted the three ribbons together. An assembly line of silver, blue and turquoise glitter was set up. The kids put modge podge on each bell and "glittered" them to their liking. Of course, this was the messiest part of the project. Finally, we added a little more modge podge and sprinkled on Epsom salt so the bells had the look of being snow covered.
The kids were so excited with their completed project.
As always, thanks for stopping by!


No comments:
Post a Comment