Friday, September 18, 2009

A Little Adjusting

This week was the first full week of school for Emily. She has been doing really well in transitioning to the new school, teacher and class...or, so I thought. On Wednesday morning while walking down to school, Emily said she was wanting to see her teacher. I asked her if she liked Ms. Palummerie and she said "she's okay". I said I thought she really liked her because she talks about her a lot. Emily told me that she yells. I knew that what Emily considered as yelling was the teacher calling out kids on their behavior when they were not doing what they were suppose to be (I heard her talking to several kids parents after school regarding focus issues). I asked Emily if she ever "yelled" at her and she said "No, she yells at Christopher". I told Emily she needs to encourage him to do his work. As we kept walking, she asked if I could get her before I get Matt and I said that she goes to school till 3 and that I would pick her up then. She got in her class line and seemed okay. I talked to the teacher after school and she said Emily was perfectly fine that day. I explained the conversation we had on the way to school. I mentioned the yelling and we clarified to Emily that the "yelling" is only directed at the kids not doing their work. The teacher also mentioned that several kids in the class were sent home sick so they were leaving early from class, she thought that may be why Emily wanted to leave early. Ms. Palumerie also told me that did she not have an IEP in hand for Emily she wouldn't even know that she needed one based on what she has seen so far - that was encouraging to hear. All seemed well with the world until the next morning. We were walking from the car to school and Emily asked again if I could get her early and I asked her why to which she told me she didn't want to go to school today. I asked her again why, she said something to the effect that she didn't want to work. I told her going to school was important so she can learn. She told me she missed me and I told her maybe we could put a picture in her backpack so she could look at it when she missed me. She said okay but as we kept walking her face got poutier. As we got in the gate, I asked for a kiss and saw a tear in her eye, I asked why she was crying and she didn't really answer. I reassured her again that school would be fun and that I would be there to pick her up. I watched her go into school and the look on her face was not a happy one. After school, I asked how she was and the teacher said she noticed Emily was "off" in the morning. She usually comes in very happy and ready to work. The teacher told me though that at lunch she was crying "hysterically" per another worker. Ms. Palummerie took Emily aside and asked her why she was crying and Emily told her that the student patrol girl wasn't there. Her teacher explained that the girl was out sick. Emily then told her she missed me. Her teacher told me that she told Emily we can miss our moms in first grade but we don't need to cry. She told her that mom and dad send her to school to learn and that I'll be there to pick her up at the end of the day. According to her teacher, after their talk, Emily was her old self the rest of the day. We spoke to Emily together and her teacher agreed to let her put a picture of us in her folder that she could look at if she was missing me but it was their little secret that it is in there. At home, Emily and I had a good talk about what happened and she was ready to go to school the next day. Her day today was excellent and she was back to her old self...even telling me on the walk to school - there is no reason for crying. I really like how her teacher handled the situation. She is firm and factual but kind......something Emily needs. This is the exact reason we wanted Emily to repeat 1st grade in general ed. So, she can adjust to the true dynamics and situations that arise in the classroom and at the same time adjust to the "true" workload of general ed 1st grade curriculum. We are really proud of how well she has done so far and only one real "meltdown" so far is great considering all the changes she has encountered. Keep up the good work Emily!

No comments:

Post a Comment